Hunting FAQ for New Hampshire

Posted by admin On November - 22 - 2011

There are a lot of questions that have been circling around New Hampshire on some of the hunting rules, laws, and regulations.

This is something that you might want to look into before going out there in the woods, and perhaps making a mistake.

These are the most frequently asked questions from new hunters, established hunters, and all hunters alike.

  • I need or want to take the Hunter Education Course. How do I go about doing so?

Taking the Hunter Education Course is a great idea! There are many places that a hunter can go throughout New Hampshire to get the training that they desire. For locations, hours, and days that courses are going on, check out the official website:

  • I have to apply for a New Hampshire Revolver/Pistol License. How can I do this?

You can apply at your local police station for this license. This is for New Hampshire residents. All people that are registering for this license that are non residents have to contact the State Police, Licensing and Permits at (603) 271- 3575.

  • Can I use a 2nd Archery Deer Tag if I shoot a buck deer while archery hunting, instead of using the first tag?

Yes. This is allowed.

  • What are the stamps/licenses that are required in order to hunt for waterfowl in New Hampshire, and where can they be purchased?

By law, you have to have a license and a stamp in order to hunt waterfowl in NH. They have to be current. They can be purchased through a license agent of your choice. You can request the stamps by mail using an online application form. This can be done at the Post Office. You have to also have a valid Harvest Information Program Validation Number.

  • Where are the Waterfowl Zones located? For both Inland and Coastal areas.

The inland zone is the part of the state that is west above the coastal boundary. The coastal zone starts at the state lines of Maine and New Hampshire in Rollinsford. The boundary expands to State Highway 4, west of the city of Dover, and south of the intersection of State Highway 108. This then continues on State Highway 108 into Madbury, Durham, and New Market. Continues into the junction of State Highway 85 that travels into Newfields, that is south of State Highway 101 in Exeter. This is east of Interstate 95 in Hampton, and south to run back to the Massachusetts line.

  • When and where are the pheasants going to be stocked?

The Department has already compiled a list of towns and sites that will be stocked with pheasants, and the dates that they will be stocked. This can be found on their website. These are both private and public lands that will be stocked with the pheasants. The names, addresses, and phone numbers of the private landowners have not been disclosed however.

  • What are the boundaries for the Vermont/New Hampshire Inland Zone for Waterfowl?

The boundaries for the New Hampshire/ Vermont borders are from Interstate 91 to Route 2, and then onto Route 102 to Route 253, this runs south to north. This routes are in Vermont, but they do fall in New Hampshire territory. You do have to have a Vermont hunting license, however to hunt on these lands. The New Hampshire hunting regulations still need to be followed as well.

  • Is CWD or Chronic Wasting Disease a concern in New Hampshire moose and deer?

CWD has been found in NY State, and not very close to New Hampshire. All of the deer that harvested each year are tested for this disease to ensure that there have not been outbreaks in the deer of the area. All of the previous tests taken have all come up negative. Butchers take precautions as they take the meat off the animal. They know that bloodborne pathogens and even diseases can be transmitted from the animal to themselves.

There is a law however, that states that you cannot bring a hunter killed animal into the State of New Hampshire from any other state that has previously tested positive for CWD. This is any part of the carcass with the exception of its antlers and skull with all soft tissue removed.

  • What exactly is the special hunt on the National Refuge at Great Bay?

The special hunt is hosted by the Great Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in Newington. They hold a hunt on the very first weekend in the firearms season. This is to support the state’s effort to control the population of deer in Unit M. It also provides recreational opportunities throughout all 1,100 acres. 40 hunters are randomly selected from a free lottery, 20 per day for the one day free hunting reign. Applications for the lottery can be picked up from the kiosk on Merrimack Drive or through the manager of the refuge: Jim Reynolds at 603-431-7511.

  • If an antlerless deer is shot in the WMU M area, can an additional antlerless only tag be used before any other tags?

Yes, the antlerless only permits can take antlerless deer in the WMU M throughout the season, up until the end of the firearms deer season. Those hunters that also have an archery license for the season may also hunt a doe in the area.

  • What is the best way to tag a deer in order to ensure that the tag will not fall off when dragging or transporting the deer to the check station?

Make sure that you take off the portion of the tag from your deer license and fill it out fully and completely once you kill a deer. Attach this tag securely to the deer. A lot of people choose to poke a hole into the deer’s ear then attach the tag using a piece of rope or pin. Attach the tag so it is inside the ear of the deer. You can then tie something around the ear to close it around the tag so it does not get lost during the drag.

  • Where are topo maps or the maps of Fish and Game properties, or Wildlife Management Area located?

There are many different maps availabile for the different Wildlife Management Areas at You should also keep a Delorme Atlas handy at all times. You can pick one up for around $20 at a lot of different book stores or even convenience stores.

  • Why can I only hunt deer with archery for the first 16 days, and why are the permits for the Special Unit M Antlerless Only deer not valid in the month of September?

Most of the state does not have a lot of deer because of the bad winters that we have been having. A lot of the hunting permits have been reduced to the amount of either sex deer the hunter can get. This is to allow the herd recover. Archery season was also reduced for hunters to help the herd out. These special days are only for this long for bucks. Once the time is up, then it will turn into either sex deer. The herd have to recouperate from the harsh winters, and in order to do that we have to let them strive.

Comments are closed.